Gary France Academy of Drums and Percussion
Gary France, Principal
- MMus, Music Performance, Jazz studies, University of North Texas, U.S.A.
- BMus Music Education K-12, Performers Certificate, SUNY Potsdam U.S.A.
- Associate Professor, Distinguished Artist in Residence: ANU School of Music
- Senior Editor: PERCUSscene Magazine
- President: Percussive Arts Society, Australia Chapter
- Board of Directors: Percussive Arts Society U.S.A.
- Board of Directors: Speak Percussion
- Adjudicator, 2013: MSO Snare Drum Award, Australian Percussion Eisteddfod, Australia's Ultimate Drummer
Individual or Group Tuition
- The Gary France Academy provides a number of flexible delivery options and affordable price points for studying music.
- Students may learn through:
- Individual Tuition: contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Group Tuition: see classes below
- Online Interactive lessons: contact email@example.com
Drum Set / Drum Kit
Students studying with Gary France discover the rich history of over 100 years of Drumset origins and innovations. Gary's past students hold prominent teaching and performing posts through out the world. Gary France has served as (chair of the adjudication panel for Australia's Best Up and Coming Drummer) Australia Ultimate Drummers Weekend 2009 - present.
Students may learn on either electronic or acoustic drum kits/sets. Our curriculum emphasis centres on three main areas:
- Technique and Coordination (mind and body)
- Reading and Music Literacy (reading music notation)
- Musical Styles (Rock, Jazz, Hip Hop, Reggae, Country, Latin etc.)
Percussion - non drum set
- Students may study an emphasis in orchestral / contemporary percussion including: Xylophone, Marimba, Vibraphone, Glockenspiel, Timpani, Snare Drum, Accessory Percussion and Multi-Percussion. Associate Professor Gary France, has over 30 years teaching experience preparing numerous students for University entry through to supervision of PHd candidates.
Courses Semester / term 1, 2014
Introduction to Drums (group tuition 4 people)
- Mondays (Calwell)
- Wednesdays (ANU)
- 4pm - 4:30
- 4:45 - 5:15
- 5:30 - 6pm
Percussion Ensemble Class (Band and Orchestra)
- Percussion Ensemble Class
- Mondays (Calwell) 6pm - 7pm
- Wednesdays (ANU) 6pm - 7pm)
- This class covers the percussion accessories you play in concert band and orchestra, cymbals, triangle, bass drum etc.
- This class covers marimba, xylophone, glockenspiel: teaches reading and keyboard harmony. This class is recommended if you are pursuing and AMEB award.
World Percussion Class
- Gary France has conducted field research in India (1993), Indonesia (1994) Africa (1999) and Brazil (2007). He shares his enthusiam with students through the various Academy and ANU World Music Ensembles he directs as well as the various special master schools and workshops that he convenes and conducts.
Percussion for the Music Educators (class)
- This course provides "in service" tuition for music educators on the complete world of percussion with a special emphasis on supporting the percussionists in your concert band or orchestra. Participants are awarded a certificate upon completion.
Get You Hands Together (Intermediate - Advanced) class
- This class is for drummers and percussionists who would like to achieve advanced international control of stick technique. Moeller, Free Hand, Natural Strokes etc are all covered in this class. Students are awarded a certificate upon completion.
Accessory Percussion for Singers and non percussionists class
- This class introduces "hand percussion": instruments that you may play in a band along with your regular instrument. Shakers, bells, cowbell, clave, tambourine etc are all covered in this class. Participants are awarded a certificate upon completion.
Get Your Rhythm Together (all instruments and singers) class
- This class is for all instrumentalists/ vocalists who would like to gain further mastery of rhythm in their music performance. Special emphasis is given to counting and performing all standard rhythms including poly rhythms. *recommended for ANU BMus performance 1 - 6 students as a component of PDA tuition. Participants are awarded a certificate upon completion.
DRUMatiX Percussion Group
- Wednesdays ANU and advanced players 2pm - 4pm
- Pre Tertiary students Thursdays 4pm - 6pm
- The DRUMatiX Percussion Ensemble presents the rich and divers repertoire written exclusively for percussion. Numerous ensembles under the direction of Gary France regularly perform national broadcast for ABC Classic FM as well as many public performances in Australia and overseas. You will find students of Gary France leading the way as members in both Rock and Commercial Bands, ABC and overseas orchestras performing in the worlds leading percussion ensembles, in the studio and in the pit.
- Students studying in the BMus degree at the ANU School of Music may elect to study within the Academy utilising their PDA grant. Students may wish to focus any aspect of drumming and percussion within their semester. Their projects may utilize new media technologies as part of their degrees. ANU Open School students may access programs within the Gary France Academy through T1, individual tuition and ensemble programs.